Tuesday 18 May 2010

Grapes

This weekend I went South and, while enjoying the pre-Summer days in Alentejo, I felt like eating grapes. So I did. And all of a sudden, an image came into my mind: M at the 1985 American Music Awards ceremony.

The “Like a Virgin” album was 3 months old, “Material Girl” was about to be released, Madonna’s place in the pop world was being propelled to a new dimension of popularity and relevance.

And people were starting to witness some of her best features as an artist: her freshness, unpredictability and sense of style. Like coming to one of the industry’s most important award ceremonies in black leather jacket, fingerless gloves, a small teddy bear and eating grapes.

I remember being a kid and watching these photos in Bravo magazine in complete fascination.

Like she said one year earlier, in an interview for MTV: Do you think someone else could come up with this?…



No comments: