Saturday 27 July 2013

Yes, I do remember...

... not the day it was released, but the day I had it for the first time.

For days I used to stand in front of the window of the record store right across the street, completely mesmerized by the cover - still my favorite, until today.

I remember so well the exact moment I had it: a few minutes from leaving with my family for our Summer vacation, the car already packed with our bags, I told my mother how much I'd love to have "the other Madonna record, to listen to during the holidays" (I already had Like A Virgin).
 
My mother, beautiful and kind as she always was, told my father to wait a few minutes, took my hand and we went to the store. "That's the one!", I said, unable to contain my enthusiasm. I picked out the cassette, since I could use my sister's radio. I listened to it over and over again, throughout the entire Summer of 1985. I was 7 years old.

Almost 30 years later, I can feel the same thrill as the first chords from "Lucky Star" arise. Like I was entering a whole new dimension, bursting with sophistication and style. And boy, did we all!



No comments: