Thursday 14 January 2010

The Big Bang

Autumn, 1985. I am 7 years old and sitting at my cousin's living room, between cake and running around the house. We are about to watch one of our favourite things on TV, besides cartoons: music videos. This video is announced, from a singer whose name is totally new to me: Madonna. The name sounds kinda mysterious and incredibly fresh. So is the style, the attitude, the moves, the voice, the wedding dress, the lion... I am hypnotized - as much as a 7 year-old can be.


Some days later, my sister - thirteen and a die-hard Duran Duran fan - comes to me and says: «Rui, nowadays everybody has an idol. It's the new thing. You must have one as well. So, let's get you an idol. Is there any singer or band you like?". My mind immediately goes back to that video I saw at my cousin's. I reply: "that girl Madonna".

The rest, as they say, is history...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi..i was also 5-6 years old when i saw Madonna the first time on MTV. And i liked her right away.
Cool blog.

Rui Clemente said...

Really? So cool to know you're a true peer :))
It's such an amazing event: the moment when that spell is cast. Something defining, irreversible. Fate, I guess.
Thank you for sharing and for visting this small shrine :)