Saturday 24 March 2012

Roller-coaster

Sitting on the train, as I was coming back home, I was preparing myself to exorcise all the stuff I had inside.

It was one hell of a strange day, right from the beginning. All because of that information that MDNA was already being sold in several countries.

After the (shocking) surprise, I was invaded by excitement and hope. Could it be that the sound of Madonna's brand new album (and, according to almost all reviews, one of her all-time best) was going to fill the air in my house, this weekend?

On lunchtime, I ran to Fnac, where I bought the album during last month's presale. Nothing in there. I was short of time and couldn't get to a sales assistant, so I came back to work.

During the afternoon, more photos were coming on Facebook, people so excited with their CDs, I just bought it! Finally it has arrived!

I was getting more and more nervous, so I called Fnac to check if there were any news. The information we have is that it'll only be available on Monday, the 26th.

The excitement and hope turned into worry.

Next photo on Facebook: the Portuguese M fan club with a copy of the CD, picked up at Universal offices. MDNA was definitely on national ground.

Worry turned into anxiety.

As the afternoon was ending, a rumour surfaced on Facebook: I've heard that they're already selling it on El Corte Inglés. I couldn't believe what I was reading. The other retalier is already selling it? I picked up the phone - I was ready to buy it again, all I wanted was to go back home with MDNA in my hands.

- We have it here already, but only for pre-listening. It will be avaliable for sale on Monday.
- Only for pre-listening??? WTF???
- Yes.

Then, as I was preparing myself to leave, I felt the world collapse: a Portuguese fan posted a photo, Just bought it, here it is! El Corte Inglés is already selling it.

My head started spinning.

- WHAT??? But I just called them and...
- In Gaia, they're already selling it.

Vila Nova de Gaia is 300 km away from Lisbon.

Anxiety tured into anger.

Got out of work. One last try at Fnac, before my 7pm class.

- Yes, it has arrived, but we can only put it on sale next Monday.
- Even for those who bought it on presale? Shouldn't we have some kind of privilege, for having bought it in advance?
- I'm sorry, I understand your point, but it's the instruction we have.
- Look, half Europe is already selling it... El Corte Inglés is already selling it!!!
- I don't understand how, we were told not to do anything until Monday. I'm terribly sorry....

I left Fnac feeling frustrated, angry, tired and wronged.
It wasn't fair.
We all shoud have the same access to the same thing, at the same time.
It seemed like the world was conspiring against me.

This weekend's countdown to MDNA was no longer a promise of excitement. It would be one hell of a burden, filled with frustration. The whole thing was ruined. But still, I was NOT going to download it. I was going to wait.

Went to the class.

Came back home. I have to write this, get it out of my system.

Turned the computer on.

Quick stop to check my emails, before logging in to Blogger.

There was one email unread, sent at 7:43 pm. From Fnac.

Your order is now available and it can be picked up at Fnac Chiado. 1 item: MDNA (Deluxe edition)

No comments: